BGIS LUDS tool retired ... for now!
The Biodiversity GIS unit will be retiring the Land-Use Decision Support (LUDS) tool.
For many BGIS users the LUDS tool is an old friend that has facilitated the identification, assessment and analysis of land parcels. However, given that:
- the current datasets on the LUDS tool are outdated;
- AND that it is easy to locate a land parcel, and perform an analysis on the available datasets on our current Silverlight Viewer;
we have decided to retire the LUDS tool.
Currently our Silverlight Viewer does not allow users to view their analysis in a report format or obtain a plant species list. We are working on integrating these new functions into our system in the form of a new LUDS tool.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding our decision, please contact us at email@example.com.
Two new exciting tools on BGIS online maps
In time for the end of year cheer the BGIS team is giving you two new and exciting online mapping tools!
- External Map Layer Tool which opens a wizard that allows you to search for compatible layers of information and add these to the BGIS online map. Note the layer appears on top of our map but you can use the fade slider next to fade it in and out of view to better understand its context.
- External Mapping Tool which allows you to open your current location in Google Maps or in Bing Maps. By default the external map viewer window is synchronized with the BGIS online map window so that if you pan or zoom on the map in either window the other is automatically updated.
The tool are located in the Maps and Data Sources tab of the BGIS online maps toolbar - read the relevant online map help section.
If these tools do not appear when accessing the online map in your browser delete your Internet browser cache - download instructions.
We hope that you will find these useful and promise more useful tools for our online maps soon!
Upgraded viewer for our online maps
In an ongoing effort to provide you with an easy to use and informative website we must upgrade our mapping system. Our new web mapping system is coming online. The system offers exciting and innovative new features read more...
- Many new mapping functions such as identifying multiple features using a line
- The ability to offer you much more new data
- Custom designed data analysis tools
- New tools for creating reports on the data
We would like to encourage you to use this new mapping system and contact our support e-mail BGISHelp@sanbi.org
with any queries and feedback. We are available to assist you with becoming a BGIS expert.
The BGIS Team